May 12, 2006

what's in a name?

Song of the moment- The Mixed Tape (Jack's Mannequin)

A name...it's about the only thing that everyone in this world has. Some people might not have eyes, arms, legs or even religion, but we can be sure that everyone is this world has a name. We are named to distinguish ourselves from the rest of the world. Parents try their best to give their children the most unique name possible. But you know what I realised? The names that parents give to their kids nowadays are really unique that the names are just just standing on the brink of ridiculousness.

And sometimes because of the uniqueness of the name, some people can't even pronounce the names correctly. Case in point, yours truly. A lot of people have said that my name is really long and really nice and unique and such, but when it comes to pronouncing my name, most people would make it sound like it's a freaking tongue-twister. Is it so hard to get Alia Arwina Izyani binti Azani right? Wait, don't answer that. I used to dread prize-giving day in school last time. every time i get a prize, they will definitely pronounce my name wrong. I think I've heard like 25 different pronounciations of my name. I used to be quite humiliated by that, but heck, now i just laugh it off. In fact, it's quite amusing how some people try so hard to pronounce my name correctly but still end up messing it up. Some of my close friends STILL can't pronounce my name properly...but i don't mind. much. ;)

I can sympathise with celebrity kids cos these kids have the most "unique" names ever. I think somehow that celebrity parents are pressured into giving the most intersting names for their kids. Like little Apple Martin. I pity her....can you just imagine the torture that she'll have to go through in life later on? Or how about Ashley Parker Angel's son, Lyric? I mean, what sort of name is Lyric? What will he name his daughter then? Lycra? I know Toni Braxton son's name is Denim and David Beckham's sons names are Brooklyn (which sounds very girlish), Romeo and Cruz...somehow Britney Spears managed to come out with a very nice and classy (and normal) sounding name for her son, Sean Preston.

It's not just celebrities that come up with funny sounding names. I remembered reading in The Star newspaper sometime back about the debates on the pronounciation of names in the "Mind Your English" section. I remembered that this woman named her son 8. Yep, the name of the son is 8. Not Eight, but 8. i'll leave you to your own opinions on that....

I swear to God I will never put my children through such torture when I have kids...but then again, i might just change my mind....maybe I'll name my daughter Mercedes or Lucida. Or maybe Vitara! and my son? Ferrari! No....somehow i think that PROTON sounds much better. Hahahahahaha...NOT!!!!!!!!

I have nothing else to talk about...hahahaha...see you guys later....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com