July 8, 2006

Rude much?

I was reading the July edition of Reader's Digest and there was this article called "How Polite Are We?" and it was quite interesting because they based our politeness on how we respond to these three tests:

1) Drop a folder full of papers in busy locations
2) Walk into buildings behind people to see if they would hold the door open for others behind them
3)Bought small items from shops to see if the sale assistant says "thank you"

They did this 20 times in each major city in a country and well, surprise, surprise, our beloved KL ranks in the bottom three....shows how polite we are... Good thing there were no tests based on driving on the roads then....KL would be right there at the bottom...

These tests made me realise how bloody impolite we all can be sometimes....I always hold doors open for other people....it's a habit that I picked up when I was in college...but I do realise that a lot of people can't be bothered to do that...some are afraid that they'll look stupid while holding the door, or some are just rushing, rushing, rushing....no time to turn back. I guess I might help people when they drop a folder full of papers...it's the right thing to do, kan? And I know that when I'm behind a counter, I'll definitely say thank you to all the people that has bought stuff from my shop.

You know what is so funny about these tests? The fact that some people are like, "no, no, no...Malaysians are very polite, yada, yada, yada...Malaysians are not rude. What nonsense are you talking about?" I mean, it's damn ironic right when the government wants to promote the country as a country with "polite" people and most of us turn out to be anything but? People would just literally let a door slam into another person's face. If that's not rude, I don't know what is. The thing is, this isn't the first time Malaysia has been labelled as rude and unfriendly. The only time Malaysians are polite and friendly is when there are tourists around. I mean, have you ever heard a Malaysian say something like this, "Oh, I love my country because the people here are so warm and friendly"....NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....Malaysians are the world's worst hippoconcretes (big, stubborn hipocrites) because we really don't practice what we preach. Or else you'll be seeing all the MPs taking public transportations instead of worrying about not getting a new Merc. Or those shop assistants who only help those who screams money and ignore others. Hell, even New Yorkers are more considerate than Malaysians...actually, New York is one of the most polite cities, according to that survey. Wow. That's certainly nice to know. Insolent KLites.

Oh by the way, I had just came to the conclusion that I suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder *gasps*. Not all the time. It just happens sometimes when I want to park my car...no, actually, it happens everytime I want to park my car. Everytime I park my car, I'll be like going in and out of the box a few times trying to park my car properly. The first thing I'll ask whoever's sitting next to me in the car would be, "am I in my box?" and usually they'll go, "yessssssssssssssssssssssss.....you are in your box". My cousin once said, "alia, you just can't think outside the box". Yeah, I can't think outside the box when it comes to parking my car. After parking my car, I'll be looking at it to see if it's straight....if not I'll be itching to go back into the car and to straighten the car. My cousins and my siblings are all fed up with this behaviour of mine. I always worry that someone might just scratch my car if I leave it in its senget position. Yep, I sound a bit obsessed with parking my car perfectly...that's not so good...so yeah, I kinda realise that I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive when it comes to parking my car.

I'm damn tired....................I want to sleep now. Good nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com