December 9, 2006

Reflections

One night earlier this week, I looked up to the sky and I saw the last full moon of 2006 and it made me realised that soon, the year 2006 will be singing it's swan song and the year 2007 will hit us with full force. And as the new year approaches, surely there will be new gadgets and improved technology to satisfy our insatiable needs and it got me thinking about how dependent we are on technology.

The Internet is an essential part of life because everyone uses it and it's like one of the cheapest ways of staying in touch with people. I mean we have MSN, MySpace and Friendster...I found some of my old friends through the internet. And handphones! Oh my God, they're like saviours! Even at this particular moment, my handphone is right beside me, never out of my sight. I am so used to having my handphone with me that when I lost my phone a few months back, I felt totally immobile. Shows how much I depend on the thing. I mean, my dad had just arrived back from South Africa today after a conference there and he's been SMS-ing us almost everyday while he was there that it didn't feel like he was on the other side of the world. Twenty years ago a phone call from overseas would have been like freakishly expensive but now it only cost slightly more expensive than making a local call.

The fact that we lived with all these technology around us kinda made me wonder how people back then can live without them. I guess it's true what they say, "You'll never miss what you never had". Huh....I think I'm glad I'm living in the 21st century.

So on a more personal note, 2006 has been a learning curve for me. I've learnt that procrastination is bad (really bad!!!), I've had a lesson in failure, I've learnt to be more open to people and I've learnt that freedom doesn't necesssarily mean blissfulness. Sigh. I think I'm a much better person than I was a year ago today, but I'm not so sure. I'm still emotionally unstable, still wallow in self-pity once in a while, I'm still a bit of a coward, I'm still a bit too shy but I feel like I have better control of myself nowadays.

I wonder what 2007 has in store for me. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com