May 17, 2008

Perceptions.

Perception:
immediate or intuitive recognition or appreciation, as of moral, psychological, or aesthetic qualities; insight; intuition; discernment
I kinda realised how our lives basically revolve around perceptions.

And how scary perceptions can be.

I was thinking about perceptions cause the topic suddenly came up while I was having lunch with Liyana. We were just talking about universities in general and I told her about my perceptions on private unis/colleges back when I was in school.

Coming from a government school, I really thought that if you were in places like HELP and Sunway (and Monash, to a certain degree) or any private universities for that matter, it means that you're not smart enough to enter public varsities. And that people who enter private universities are all snobbish brats who are literally buying their degrees and that it doesn't matter if they fail cause they can always retake the units that they failed.

Now that I'm in Monash, basically I had just classified myself as a person who's, well...dumb, spoilt and couldn't care less about education, when in fact I'm studying like nobody's business, my social life is pretty much non-existent and my stress level is at an all-time high.

Now I'm scared about how people perceive me.

I know I shouldn't be worried about people's perception as long as I'm comfortable with who I am, but i still wonder. Especially the perception of people from my parents' generation.

Like what my mum said,
"They grew up thinking that if you study in private unis, you're not good enough for public unis. It might not be true, but they don't know that now, do they?"

It's funny to think that I've become exactly what I didn't want to be back in secondary school.

Irony is bittersweet, no?

PS: Just so I'll scare myself silly and take time to study:




Flash Countdown


1 comment:

  1. perception is much related to paradigm la right? the way you view things, influenced/tainted by your personal+social worlds and all that jazz.

    it's hard to prove ppl wrong, but there's little we can do if ppl simply refuse to change their paradigm.

    i think you shouldnt try to prove them wrong. you just do your best, and let your efforts prove them they're wrong.

    i thought the same thing dulu gak, that private uni kids have it easier, but i've been proven wrong. and you've been proven wrong too. so if the paradigm shift can happen to us, maybe it can happen to other ppl as well. =)

    dont think too much abt it yah?

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com