August 5, 2009

Gender equality?

Today I was talking with a friend of mine about work and stuff cause we were supposed to start looking for internship for the summer break. And we were talking about job prospects once we graduate, etc, etc, when he said something to this effect:

"Tapi you perempuan, senang je. You kahwin je la dengan someone kaya"

EXCUSE ME????

Needless to say, I was a bit taken aback and I was actually rendered speechless for a few seconds after that.

I have not studied my ass off these past three years to just be satisfied with being some housewife, waiting hand and foot on her husband.

NO.BLOODY.WAY.

I mean, if I wanted to kahwin some rich-ass kid and be totally dependent on him, what was the point of me slaving over my studies?

I really want to see how far I can go on my own, with the skills that I have or will obtain in the future. Partially it's about the money, but mostly it's for my own self-satisfaction.

I can tell you right now that being a housewife will NOT give me any self-satisfaction.

And it shocked me that the thought even crossed my friend's mind. I seriously didn't know that guys could still think like that. It saddens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com