April 15, 2006

of test results n nasi lemak...

My test results from What Makes You A Real Beauty test:

alia, your Intelligence makes you a real beauty

There's nothing more beautiful than a good head on your shoulders. Witty and wise, you're never short on interesting conversation or an informed opinion. You like to stay on top of what's going on around you. From world events to local hot spots, you don't wanna miss a beat. But all those smarts don't mean your nose is in a book all day. You're a friendly soul who knows how to have a good time and whoop it up. From grabbing a casual dinner with friends to checking out a hip, new art exhibit, you're not afraid to have a little fun. What could be smarter than that?

That does sound like me...weird...but I would rather go to a theme park (like Genting, which I am still craving to go to even though I just went to Genting 2 months ago) than an art museum...but the Louvre Musuem sounds interesting....the Mona Lisa's there! :D Ohhh...can't wait for the Da Vinci Code movie to come out!!!

So anyways, I was really bored today n my hands saja menggatal so I decided to
go to Wikipedia to see if they have Malaysian food in the encyclopedia. (i know, i know...it's pretty lame, but I was bored!) So then I typed in Nasi lemak n this picture came out:



And there was this article talking about nasi lemak, blah, blah, blah....And at the bottom of the page was an external link that says What To Look Out For When Eating Nasi Lemak, so I clicked on that....n my stomach rumbled after reading the article...most of the time I was nodding my head n going, "yeah la" while I was reading the article. The article mentioned top 10 "basic ingredients" of Malaysian's beloved nasi lemak:

1. The rice must be somewhat firm and not soggy, clumpy and sticky. Excellent nasi lemak rice is fluffy, with the rice grains separated or nicely loose. If it is sticky, then it's not well done.

2. Next, the rice must also be fragrant with the smell of coconut milk in it. A lot of places now serve nasi but not nasi lemak, there's hardly any aroma in the rice. Pandan leaves are also a must, otherwise it would lack the extra aroma that the pandan leaves bring to the rice.

3. The sambal (that's the chili sauce/paste that comes with it) needs to have a kick. But not to the point it becomes bitter. Some vendors use chili boh to make the sambal - that's usually a no no. Good sambal needs to be made from fresh ingredients - chili, ikan bilis (anchovies) and onions. Some sambal is a bit on the sweet side which doesn't quite appeal to me. I think sambal should just be spicy. I have been informed by Davy that the Penang variety comes with fresh chillies, lime or lemon juice, hehkoh and grilled belacan. Yummy!

4. The egg can either be hard boiled, fried or sunny side up. Whichever way you like it, that's fine. Nasi lemak is not quite the same without it. If you like, it could also be served as an omellete. I like it hard boiled or sunny side up.

5. The ikan bilis (fried anchovies) needs to be crispy and tasty. Some guys fry it too hard and it comes it bitter. If that's the case - spit it out! One interesting note is that I have found that the cheap anchovies (which are bigger) tend to work better in nasi lemak.

6. Roasted peanuts are a must in nasi lemak. It's just not nasi lemak without it. Most places get this right so if you come across any nasi lemak stall that does not have peanuts, they don't know what they are doing. Avoid it.

7. Cucumbers should have been treated so that they have had the bitterness taken out of it already. Eating a bitter cucumber is not a nice thing.

8. Nasi lemak is best served on banana leaf because the extra fragrance that comes from the banana leaf gives the nasi lemak an extra bit of flavour.

9. Fried chicken is the best complement to nasi lemak. Some may prefer curry chicken, fried fish, sotong or beef rendang. That's a matter of personal preference - I like it with fried chicken.

10. Finally, nasi lemak has to be served warm!!!!!

Great....I'm hungry and it's 10 o'clock at night....I want nasi lemak!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com