October 5, 2007

Hunger

OK, yesterday's post was a 'bimbo moment' post (I seem to be having loads of those moments lately), but today I want to move on and be boring. Hahaha!

I feel like talking about HUNGER. Quite depressing actually.

Anyways, during buka puasa yesterday, my parents, anis and I, somehow got around to talking about the history of Hong Kong (because we plan on going there in December). Actually, it was more like which country does Hong Kong belong to, or if it is truly independent. So suddenly we ended up talking about communism and why all these crazy things happen in the world nowadays (generally it's because people are greedy and power crazy). And please, don't ask me why we started talking about history, and the stupid promises that politicians make. But then, my dad actually said something that made sense. Sometimes, when the really poor people in a country cannot bear to see the rich get richer while they starve to death, they will revolt. My dad said that because they do not have access to food and are starving, getting killed by the government's soldiers is not a scary prospect to them because they have nothing to lose. In fact, to these people, dying would be better than living because at least they don't have to starve anymore.

And it got me thinking, what a sick world we live in.

And when I was bored just now, I surfed the net and saw this picture from Time.com's Hungry Planet article:



The caption for this article said that the woman is trying to sift through sand to pluck out any bits of grain that "might have dropped to the ground during the previous day's ration disbursement." This is at a refugee camp in Chad. And it got me thinking, "God, if only there were some way that I could help her"

You know how they say the Ramadhan month is a month of reflection? I totally agree. I think being deprived of food and water for 14 hours is nothing cause I bet the woman in the picture has to go through worse things. I mean, when it comes to buka puasa time, we know that there will be enough food for us to eat, but those people that are discriminated and poor might not have anything to eat.

I know this entry might depress some people...but it just got me thinking that we are lucky to have access to almost everything and we should be thankful for that. Please remind me of this the next time I post an entry on self-pity.

1 comment:

  1. err.. sambungkan this:

    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/
    home.faces?siteId=1

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com