November 19, 2009

Nepotism.

One day last week, my grandmother (my dad's mom) asked me about my job cause my dad told her that I'm going to be doing my internship this holidays. So I was telling her how I got into an audit firm and what sort of work I might be doing and stuff. And then she asked me something that somehow managed to irritate me.

She asked me whether my uncle (my mom's youngest brother) had helped me in getting the job.

I don't know why, but I felt somewhat insulted that she felt that I had to ask my uncle for a job.

Granted, my uncle is the Executive Director and Head of the Alliance Investment Management Berhad (which I just found out 5 minutes ago after looking at the Alliance Bank website. LOL.), but I want to see whether I can find work on my own, without having the burden of someone's reputation on my shoulders.

In fact, when I told my uncle that I got the job at BDO, he was like "Oh, that's good cause they're up-and-coming and they'll give you some real experience in auditing. Not like the Big Four" and he sounded genuinely happy and proud of me that I got the job. That's what I love about him. He's always been supportive with what I've done. In fact, he was the one who told me take up Econometrics instead of Finance as my major in Monash.

My back-up plan has always been to do an internship with him if I couldn't get a job on my own, but now I've come to realise that nepotism is really a double-edged sword. See, if I manage to excel when I work under him, people would be saying "Of course she'll do well. She's Nik Azhar's niece." or if I somehow manage to screw things up, people will start commenting on how badly I'm doing, and it will inevitably affect my uncle's reputation, too.

So yeah, even though nepotism is the norm in Malaysia (especially in the Malay culture), I'd rather not have it hanging over my head.

I'd like to start from scratch, where my success will be mine and where my failures would not taint anyone else's reputation.

Call it pride or arrogance if you may, but I'd like to think of it as INDEPENDENCE.

Number one priority in being an auditor: You have to be independent. So I better start now, right? Like they say, no time like the present. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com